[petsc-dev] configure issues

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Feb 9 06:05:10 CST 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:56, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> We used to have everything in the preprocessor, and we could happily edit
> that and never have to think
> about Python at all. We abandoned that approach because it was too
> complicated, prone to break, and
> we spent all of our petsc-maint time on it.

I don't know what examples you are referring to, I started with PETSc in
2004.

I don't see a lot of logic currently being done on the Python side and used
from C, petscconf.h does not have logic in it. No C source files or function
bodies are currently generated by Python. It sounds like you want to
generated imperative code in Python and call that from C. I think that would
add complexity.