[petsc-dev] worthless information

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 30 15:08:04 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 14:47, Vijay S. Mahadevan <vijay.m at gmail.com> wrote:

>        vnum = re.findall(r'^.*?\d+\.\d+(?:\.\d+|(?:\.\d+\.\d+))?',s)

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular
expressions."

Now they have two problems.

FWIW, we care at least as much about the path of the compiler as its
version. Usually the first word of "mpicc -show" has this (provided spaces
in paths are escaped appropriately). Finding this information is not
difficult, we're just discussing what information is most important in the
summary and taking it as an opportunity to complain about existing systems.

My first complaint about waf is it's lame handling of configuration for
batch systems. I also don't see a good waf-based library for figuring out
how to build against dependent libraries, which mostly makes it a make
replacement (the easy part) instead of a configuration system (the hard
part).