[petsc-dev] worthless information

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 30 13:27:07 CDT 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Barry Smith wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Satish Balay wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Barry Smith wrote:
> >

> >> Compilers:
> >>  C Compiler:         /home/balay/petsc-dev/arch-cuda-double/bin/mpicc
> >>

> >>   It should also print the underlying compiler that is used by mpicc.
> >
> > Right now - configure.log is the location for details. [and wrt
> > --download stuff - make.log also has the configure command which has
> > the details]
> >
> > Sure - we don't have everything in summary printed by configure
>
>    Well if room is so tight in the "summary printed by configure" then why do we waste room printing
>
> >> C Compiler:         /home/balay/petsc-dev/arch-cuda-double/bin/mpicc
>
>    since that conveys no information. Why not take it out and then there will be room for actually providing useful information.

There is verious levels of usefullness. Right now its says its using
mpicc installed by user - instead of some sysmte mpicc or somthing
else.

C compiler: /home/balay/petsc-dev/arch-cuda-double/bin/mpicc
Fortran compiler: fortran

There is still some useful info here.

Its just that it doesn't have the info you are currently looking for..

Perhaps Matt can update configure to have this info detected in a
useable format to be printed here.. [whats in configure.log is some
verbose info - not suitable for summary]

Satish