[petsc-dev] KSP Viewer problem in petsc3.1

Gabriele Jost gjost at tacc.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 25 10:57:33 CDT 2011

Hello!

I am running into a problem when using  petsc  3.1 and SuperLU.

KSP Object:
  type: preonly
  maximum iterations=5000, initial guess is zero
  tolerances:  relative=1e-06, absolute=1e-50, divergence=10000
  left preconditioning
  using PRECONDITIONED norm type for convergence test
PC Object:
  type: lu
    LU: out-of-place factorization
    tolerance for zero pivot 1e-12
    matrix ordering: natural
    factor fill ratio given 0, needed 0
      Factored matrix follows:
        Matrix Object:
          type=mpiaij, rows=13608, cols=13608
          package used to perform factorization: superlu_dist
          total: nonzeros=0, allocated nonzeros=27216
            SuperLU_DIST run parameters:
              Process grid nprow 8 x npcol 8
              Equilibrate matrix TRUE
              Matrix input mode 1
              Replace tiny pivots TRUE
              Use iterative refinement FALSE
              Processors in row 8 col partition 8
              Row permutation LargeDiag
[59]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message ------------------------------------
[60]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.1.0, Patch 5, Mon Sep 27 11:51:54 CDT 2010
[62]PETSC ERROR: [53]PETSC ERROR: Unknown column permutation!
See docs/changes/index.html for recent updates.

I googled around and found that a similar problem had been reported to the Petsc folks before. The answer was as follows:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Satish Balay wrote:

> Can you try the attached patch - and see if this goes away?
>
> patch -Np1 < superlu_dist.patch

Is the patch above included in the SLU that is part of the petsc 3.1 distribution? If not, could we get it?

Thanks so much in advance and best regards,
Gabriele