[petsc-dev] Monitor changes

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Aug 14 14:58:22 CDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 13:11, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   Yes, the publisher is required to insure that all memory references that
> they publish as fields remain around as long as the AMS memory exists.

This is the problem. There are things that the monitors and viewers compute
that are not backed by memory. We still want to be able to see these when
observing a computation. So we need to somehow communicate information that
is only on the stack to a GUI or database that is monitoring a computation.
Since we already want to transmit options, we could create some similar
channel (maybe buffered by AMS) or we could just call it a viewer and have a
way to hook an AMS client into that viewer (i.e. with a protocol that is not
too mismatched).