[petsc-dev] Monitor changes

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Aug 13 17:40:27 CDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 17:30, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Yes we have to fix our testing process so one doesn't need to constantly
> change the output files.

Would it be hopeless to have the view routines always write JSON and then
format it using a filter that doesn't have detailed semantic knowledge of
each part? Alternatively, a lot of the output could be parsed in current
form without _that_ much semantic knowledge (petscplot needed this), so we
could recover numeric values and do some sort of fuzzy comparisons when
deciding how severe a mismatch is. The comparison for convergence monitors
needs semantic knowledge that it is a convergence monitor anyway.