[petsc-dev] Updating parmetis

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Aug 13 13:18:20 CDT 2011

Parmetis-4.0 has a much nicer build process and eliminated the historical
conflict between libmetis and libparmetis. This is good, however SuiteSparse
(contains Umfpack and Cholmod) used a private (I guess) API (the closest
thing to NodeComputeSeparator is ComputeVertexSeparator, but it has one less
argument; there may be other differences) that has since changed, so the
latest Parmetis cannot be used with them. On the first pass, it looks like
MUMPS is in a similar situation. Do we wait on updating our Parmetis, until
these packages update, update PETSc --download-parmetis now and watch the
breakage, or try fixing the dependent packages?