[petsc-dev] MPI_Exscan

Aron Ahmadia aron.ahmadia at kaust.edu.sa
Tue Aug 2 02:29:27 CDT 2011

Lisandro raises an interesting point.  I just checked the MPI_VERSION
defined on the currently released IBM BlueGene/P driver, and I was surprised
to see 2.1 defined, given that the BlueGene doesn't support dynamic process
control (though I guess otherwise it is basically a full MPI-2), from the
developer's guide:

"The implementation of MPI on the Blue Gene/P system is the MPICH2 standard
that was developed by Argonne National Labs. For more information about
MPICH2, see the Message Passing Interface (MPI) standard Web site at:

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/

A function of the MPI-2 standard that is not supported by Blue Gene/P is
dynamic process management (creating new MPI processes).16 However, the
various thread modes are supported".

I think this is worth considering carefully as MPI-3 is approved and we
start to see vendor implementations of some of its cooler features show up
on our systems.  Perhaps in addition to version numbers specific 'features'
could be macro-defined by the standard: MPI_HAS_EXSCAN, etc...?  This might
be a reasonable compromise between the two approaches.