[petsc-dev] buildsystem questions

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Sep 21 03:36:21 CDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 04:12, Kai Germaschewski
<kai.germaschewski at unh.edu> wrote:
> autoconf/automake software normally builds libraries as user that can be
> directly installed without having to be relinked, so I know it's possible to
> make do without relinking

I find this quite horrible since I think libraries and executables
intended to be installed in "non-system" directories should always set
RPATH, and I hate having shell scripts wrapped around test
executables.  With autotools, I'm constantly fixing up a custom
environment so that I can run the actual executable from .libs in a
debugger or inspect it with utilities like ldd.

Jed