[petsc-dev] Why is -I$PETSC_DIR/src/dm/mesh/sieve in CLINKER even when configured without Sieve?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Mon Oct 11 17:28:50 CDT 2010

Does it even need to be there at all?  Must things like "Map.hh" be in the
public namespace like this?  Do we really need -I/usr/lib?  How about
-I/usr/local/include (my /usr/local is empty so configure definitely didn't
find anything there, it's not mentioned in my environment either).  How
about /usr/include (which is a system directory and need not, indeed should
not, be specified explicitly) and /usr/lib/openmpi which has no C headers in
it and really shouldn't be specified either.  Why can't I have
-I$PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/include -I$PETSC_DIR/include and *nothing* else
unless I have packages in non-system directories?

This with current -dev, it was cleaner with 3.1 where at least /usr/lib and
/usr/local/include were not shoved in there.  I haven't checked when they
crept in.

/usr/bin/mpicc -o ex51.o -c -fPIC -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wno-strict-aliasing
-Wno-unknown-pragmas -g3 -I/home/jed/petsc/src/dm/mesh/sieve
-I/home/jed/petsc/ompi/include -I/home/jed/petsc/include -I/usr/include
-I/usr/lib/openmpi -I/home/jed/petsc/ompi/include -I/usr/lib
-I/usr/local/include -D__INSDIR__=src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ ex51.c

#!/usr/bin/python
if __name__ == '__main__':
  import sys
  import os
  sys.path.insert(0, os.path.abspath('config'))
  import configure
  configure_options = [
    '--with-zoltan-dir=/usr',
    '--download-ml',
    '--with-blas-lapack-dir=/usr',
    '--download-pastix',
    '--download-blacs',
    '--download-chaco',
    '--with-hdf5-dir=/usr',
    '--with-sowing',
    '--download-superlu_dist',
    '--with-cholmod-dir=/usr',
    '--download-spooles',
    '--download-sundials',
    '--download-hypre',
    '--with-c2html',
    '--with-mpi-dir=/usr',
    '--with-umfpack-dir=/usr',
    '--with-parmetis-dir=/usr',
    '--with-single-library=0',
    '--download-scalapack',
    '--with-java-dir=/usr',
    '--with-lgrind',
    '--download-mumps',
    'PETSC_ARCH=ompi',
    '--download-superlu',
    '--download-scotch',
    '--download-spai',
    '--with-shared-libraries',
  ]
  configure.petsc_configure(configure_options)