[petsc-dev] configure checking for FC but PETSc not using them

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 5 12:59:03 CDT 2010

On Oct 5, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 18:20, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> Do you want a configure flag to turn off building them? If so is there a particular reason (including they are too hard to build?)?
>
> I use the CMake build which builds them just fine, but I have a bunch of PETSC_ARCHes, many of which use external packages that require a Fortran compiler, but I almost never call PETSc from Fortran (only to debug problems that people send me), so I'd rather not build the Fortran interface at all for most values of PETSC_ARCH.

   Ok, that is a very different question.  You want BuildSystem to detect and test a Fortran compiler but you don't want PETSc to use it at all. Yes we should add configure support for that. This is sort of what we do for C++ when building PETSc with C, configure still does its thing but PETSc doesn't use the C++ compiler.

   How about a --with-fortran-interface  which is true by default unless --with-fc is set to zero, but you can turn it off and the FC tests are still done?

   Barry