[petsc-dev] SILO

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Oct 5 10:23:05 CDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 17:16, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
> It worked in 1998. I put it in. It has not worked since then. Want to help
> resurrect it?
> I would like to use Visit.

You don't need SILO for VisIt.  I created yet another HDF5 format with
VisIt plugin for unstructured data last year (use of iMesh/MOAB for
mesh topology could be made optional pretty easily).  But I think it
sucks and we should be writing sqlite files referencing binary blobs
because unstructured time-dependent data has is a somewhat general
directed graph (not a tree).  HDF pretty much assumes tree and it's
cumbersome to do anything else (the reader did a lot of graph folds
that could be one-line SQL queries).

Or just write VTK files. ;-)

Jed