[petsc-dev] reminder never use #include "mylocalinclude.h" in PETSc source

Jed Brown jed at 59a2.org
Tue May 4 11:51:05 CDT 2010

On Tue, 4 May 2010 11:37:14 -0500, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see. Yes, it currently uses the makefile organization. This is the
> kind of metadata that Barry would like in a DB rather than in
> makefiles.

It would be easy to convert between being spread out in the makefiles
and being held in some central location.  For instance, something like
builder.py, run at the end of configuration time, could instead of
building the project, write a single tupfile [1] for all of PETSc, and
then we could rejoice with fast correct builds, even after
reconfiguring.

I think the metadata itself belongs with the implementations (more or
less where it is currently) unless we are actually working with an
image-based system (which does not look likely in the near future).

Jed

[1] For those who not in the know: http://gittup.org/tup/make_vs_tup.html