[petsc-dev] CFLAGS / LDFLAGS and cxx error

Wesley Smith wesley.hoke at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 14:00:52 CDT 2010

>  Nope, they are completely distinct to handle the rare cases where the c++ compiler doesn't like all the valid flags that the C compiler accepts. Is there a way we could have made this fact obvious to users?

It's a good question.  I found myself completely overwhelmed by the
./configure --help output.  I'm wondering if there's a way to
partition it into smaller subsections similar to how gdb's help has
different help sections depending on whether you're setting
breakpoints, examining a backtrace, etc.  petsc is compiling right
now, so when it's done, I'll have a look at the descriptions for
CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS.  Posting the reason for the cxx compiler not
being recognized would definitely help.

wes