[petsc-dev] Matlab implementation of PC

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 9 16:04:18 CST 2010

On Dec 9, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Dave May wrote:

> Ok, after digging a little bit more, I realise I can configure the pc
> in a command line like
> manner using this syntax '-pc_type','lu'.
>
> What I was hoping to use was ML and hypre, however it appears neither
> of these libraries can be built with --with-mpi=0, which seems to be a
> requirement when calling petsc from matlab.
> Is there a straight forward way to enable hypre and ml to be used when
> --with-mpi=0?

No. I won't recommend monkeying with that.

A much better way to do it would be to "improve" the Matlab interface to support running under MPI; first step of course just sequential (one process MPI).

This would be done by putting a PETSC_COMM_SELF field into PetscObject as a nonconstant property and then have PetscInitalize.m pull the PETSC_COMM_SELF up from C and put it into PetscObject. Then calls to, for example, KSPCreate() from Matlab would automatically pass that property in (currently they just pass 0 in, which works for MPI Uni).

   Barry