[petsc-dev] DMDA_*PERIODIC and DMDA_XYZGHOSTED

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 7 15:37:01 CST 2010

I may be out on a limb here, but the column DM could also encapsulate the
scatter
that currently sits in the Mat object. By default the row DM could have an
identity (noop) scatter.

Note that this is very natural from the DD standpoint: ASM/GASM/FieldSplit
already define scatters that
scatter to a "subdomain" on which a  matrix/pc operate.  Currently, the
VecScatter inside the subdomain Mat
will further scatter the Vec to the "local" part, on which the matrix then
operates locally.  If the scatter is moved
out of Mat and into its column DM, than this double scatter can be avoided.

The pattern "scatter to the local part, then apply the local matrix there"
becomes part of a more general pattern:
"scatter to a subdomain, apply the subdomain matrix there", where "local" is
an instance of "subdomain".