[petsc-dev] DMDA_*PERIODIC and DMDA_XYZGHOSTED

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Dec 7 15:27:23 CST 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 22:00, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> PetscLayout is like the DMSliced, there is simply no interconnectivity
> information because it is not needed or not available. It tells enough
> information to serve as a factory for Flat Euclidean space in the same way
> that DMDA serves as a factory for slightly more complicated layout.

Okay, I agree now.  And Mat would then naturally have a "row" and "column"
DM (making MatGetVecs for non-standard DMs trivial).  It's not clear to me
what this semantic information allows, but a linear transformation, in an
abstract sense, is a map between spaces, so it's mathematically sound to
have the linear transformation (Mat) know about the spaces.)

There is that little detail of PetscLayout currently being an "open" object.

Jed