[petsc-dev] Fortran 2003 enum

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 7 13:16:02 CST 2010

On Dec 7, 2010, at 1:08 PM, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 20:05, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> In fact many of the Fortran manual bindings come from string issues.
>
> Why has this not been automated?  I don't know the bfort source, but is it somehow fundamentally hard?

  It is not fundamentally hard, just a few different cases for different compilers and a bit of a pain in the butt to automate. We've managed ok without automating. If you tried to do it in bfort I think you (like Matt) would bitch and scream and swear that bfort should be rewritten in python :-)

   Anyways the issue with what Blaise wants is arrays of strings, we have no experience with arrays of strings, someone would just need to sit down and see how all Fortran compilers handle them and then write stubs to deal with them. Never been a priority for use because didn't know that Blaise wanted this.  Could be done.

   But if 2003 provides a standard way of doing this then we could just use that and save the manual work.

   Barry