[petsc-dev] What's the point of D(A/M)GetGlobalVector?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Fri Aug 27 11:10:26 CDT 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:00:32 -0400, Kai Germaschewski <kai.germaschewski at unh.edu> wrote:
> And it also requires some more memory management framework which would
> call upon caches to expire long-unused objects when memory is running
> low.

How would you detect this?  Note that further allocation may be done
external to PETSc, and perhaps even in a separate process.  We're not in
a managed environment, we can't get a reliable "time to GC".  If we
could get that sort of signal, then I would be for such caching at all
times, but I don't think we can, in which case I still think
managed/pooled access versus owned creation needs to be explicitly
different.

Jed