[petsc-dev] PETSc ./configure request to build shared libraries is failing silently in petsc-dev (changeset: 16780:e7052ddd3def)

Aron Ahmadia aron.ahmadia at kaust.edu.sa
Mon Aug 23 13:42:57 CDT 2010

Hi Lisandro,

The use case looks something like the following (this won't make sense if
you're not viewing in fixed-width):

     PetClaw (Python code with main)

x------x--------x
|               |
|               |
PETSc4Py       F90 kernels (through F2py)

Python is gluing all three x's, so the main driver is Python, and there is
no need to call Python from C.  We are not currently considering any
extension modules besides what comes out of the box with PETSc4Py (Numpy)

I assume that I will still need all of the underlying libraries to be
compiled with PIC enabled.

I don't quite grok the difference between a static archive containing
PIC-compiled code and a dynamic library with same.  It might not be too hard
to get a PIC-enabled xlc PETSc build, but I will stick to the working gnu
build for now.

Thanks for your help,
Aron