[petsc-dev] PETSc ./configure request to build shared libraries is failing silently in petsc-dev (changeset: 16780:e7052ddd3def)

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 10:18:05 CDT 2010

On 21 August 2010 10:08, Aron Ahmadia <aron.ahmadia at kaust.edu.sa> wrote:
> Hi PETSc developers,
> As you may or may not know, we are planning on building PETSc4Py on our
> BlueGene/P machine here at KAUST as core software for several research
> projects that we are kickstarting this Fall, including a Pythonic
> integration of PETSc into PyCLAW to (initially) manage multiprocessor
> distributed memory domain decompositions using PETSc DA components.  A key
> component of this, of course, is getting PETSc4Py installed on our BGP,
> something I am willing to take a serious effort at, but have not done
> before.  I am working from developer's copies of both PETSc and PETSc4Py in
> anticipation of potential trouble, and I have a few tools here on the
> BlueGene/P side that should simplify automating the installation once I have
> successfully done it once :o)
> I have successfully built PETSc4Py on a Linux workstation, so I am familiar
> with the process.  Of course, everything gets much uglier on a BGP.  To
> start with, the PETSc install file that comes as an example does not build
> shared libraries out of the box.
> Turning this switch on, however, does not appear to have any effect in
> actually getting PETSc to build sharing libraries (or at least tell me why
> it can't).  I took a look through the configure log and couldn't find
> anything that makes sense to me.
> Thanks,
> Aron

How are you planning to use petsc4py? Are you going to embed Python in
a C/C++ app?  Is he core PETSc library going to be linked to other
extension modules? I ask this because petsc4py do works with static
libraries,  moreover I managed to support static builds of PETSc and
SLEPc/TAO and still get petsc4py and slepc4py/tao4py working fine (it
only works on Linux, and likely on others POSIX systems excluding OS
X). I do not promote this feature because novices usually make a mess
when link Python modules with static libraries.

--
Lisandro Dalcin