[petsc-dev] something to consider adding to PETSc

Mark F. Adams mark.adams at columbia.edu
Fri Aug 13 11:20:07 CDT 2010

On Aug 12, 2010, at 4:17 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov>
> wrote:
>
>   It claims "permute the matrix such that sparse matrix-vector
> multiplication
>
> Does anyone understand what this means? I understand cache-oblivious
> divide&conquer
> where you just keep splitting until you are in cache (the original
> paper by Harald), but
> what is meant here?

I'm sure that your interpretation is correct Matt.  I don't recall the
people that coined this phrase but as I recall  you keep splitting
forever, in theory, to be truly cache oblivious.  In practice you
generally have some idea of how far down you want to block and stop
before you get to individual equations.

Mark