remove 'x11' test from 'make test'

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 28 18:59:18 CDT 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Barry Smith wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2009, at 6:41 PM, Satish Balay wrote:
>
> > Barry,
> >
> > any objections to removing the 'x11' test from 'make test?'
> >
> > It fails for significant numer of installs [for users without working
> > x11 etc..]. And the c/fortran/parallel tests should be the primary
> > tests anyway..
>
>  The make rule for make tests only runs this test  when ./configure has found
> X11 and tested that it compiles and links properly.
>
>  Thus it is not failing because of a failed X11 install.
>
>   My understanding is that it ONLY fails because people don't have the proper
> DISPLAY variable set. That is either
> 1) DISPLAY does not exist or has garbage or
> 2) DISPLAY points to a proper X server but because of permission issues or
> firewalls the X client cannot connect to the X server.
>
>   Does it fail for any other reason?

Or one is not running a X server on their desktop [and installs on a
remote linux box]

>   I hate to pander to complete idiots who cannot set up their X system
> properly; but I guess you can move that test to a new test called
> testx11

I guess some users don't need or use X11 directly [esp on Mac?]. And
with PETSc - its secondary usage anyway [We install with X11 , but its
primarily useful to users at debugging stage - when debugging matrix
assembly with -mat_view_draw etc..]. Hence my proposal to remove it
from 'make test'.

Will move it to 'testx11'

thanks,
satish