who updated the MUMPS package in petsc-dev

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Oct 22 12:24:57 CDT 2008

On Wed 2008-10-22 11:34, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Barry Smith wrote:
>
> >   This is what got my rant started on sticking package includes in there :-(
>
> moving includes to a sub-dir will help slightly with 'external
> package' upgrades - but not completely.

The MPI wrappers should find `mpi.h' and if you installed an MPI then
wouldn't you be using the wrappers?  If you're not using wrappers then
certainly that -I needs to be there.  For other headers, it doesn't seem
like too much to ask a user who uses an external package directly to add
their own -I flag.

> And before this recompile is done - we should do a proper 'uninstall'
> of the package. We have an uninstall script for 'prefix' install of
> PETSc libraries. Perhaps we can somehow extend this to do a proper
> 'package-uninstall' for individual externalpackages.. [to be used
> during this externalpackage-reinstall step]

Beware of Hypre's make uninstall which is rm -rf $prefix/{lib,include}!
Some packages install lots of un-namespaced headers (fortran.h,
timing.h, misc.h, matrix.h, qr.h -- SPAI and Hypre seem to be the big
offenders here) so the uninstall would have to be somewhat manual and
re-tuned for new releases, but getting reconfigure to work properly
through package upgrades is worthwhile.  I also think it's good to get
these headers out of the user's default namespace.

Jed