who updated the MUMPS package in petsc-dev

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 22 11:34:32 CDT 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Barry Smith wrote:

>   This is what got my rant started on sticking package includes in there :-(

moving includes to a sub-dir will help slightly with 'external
package' upgrades - but not completely.

- For one - some old files could still lay arround [causing problems
during PETSc build - but not package build]

- the current f arch/conf/packagename test [to rebuilding of a
package] wont't work. [ it checks only compiler options - not the
package version].

Ideally we should have a better check on when to invoke a
'recompile/install' on the external packages. [maybe also stash
externaldir name? - or some md5checksum if the sources change - but
not the dirname?] etc..

And before this recompile is done - we should do a proper 'uninstall'
of the package. We have an uninstall script for 'prefix' install of
PETSc libraries. Perhaps we can somehow extend this to do a proper
'package-uninstall' for individual externalpackages.. [to be used
during this externalpackage-reinstall step]

Satish