possible new problem: dynlibs retrieved twice, need advice for fix

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 18:37:47 CDT 2008

Barry, your arguments were really convincing. So I would propose the
following API changes:

1) Private Interface:

    1.a) PetscDLLibraryRetrieve(comm, path, ... ):
           Implements automatic file retrieval.
    1.b) PetscDLLibraryOpen(comm, path, flags, &entry):
            - call 1.a for file retrieval
            - next dlopen()/LoadLibrary() (flags are for dlopen)
            - and finally malloc and fill a new PetscDLLibrary entry.
    1.c) PetscDLLibraryClose(comm, &entry):
           - first dlclose()/FreeLibrary()
           - and then free then PetscDLLibrary entry allocated in 1.b
           *change: this is the oposite to 1.b

1) Public Interface

2.a) PetscDLLibrary:
        a list of loaded dynlibs
2.b) PetscDLLibrary{Append|Prepend}(comm, list, path, flags)
       automatic file retrieval + dlopen()/LoadLibrary() +
append/prepend in list
       * change: add arg for dlopen() flags RTLD_{LAZY|NOW}/{LOCAL_GLOBAL}
2.c) PetscDLLibrarySym(comm, list, symbol, &value):
       look for symbol in list (and also program code if not found in list)
       *change: path removed, use 1.b for adding new libs to the list.
2.d) PetscDLLibraryClear(comm, &list):
       free list entries calling 1.c, and finally set list to NULL.
       *change 1: former name was PetscDLLibraryClose
       *change 2: trully call dlclose()/FreeLibrary() on handles.

Some additional notes:
- In some cases, the comm argument is unused, but let it there just in
case we need it in the near future.
- As I know you hate abreviations, perhaps we could rename
PetscDLLibrarySym to PetscDLLibraryLookSymbol ?

That's all :-) . What do you think? Feel free to suggest better names
for the routines, you are far better than me for that.

--
Lisandro Dalcín