Independently configuring down & up smoothers in PCMG

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 17:32:31 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   Matt,
>
>    You idea is more general than mine, and (I think) encompasses what you
> could
> do with mine.
>
>    We must keep in mind that prefixes can be append/prepended to other
> prefixes
> repeatedly. To manage this with your approach we might likely need to turn a
> prefix
> into a first class object and provide all the infrastructure to manage them.
> Yuck, if
> we can help it.
>

> Of course, with my approach and several _2_ and _CAP_ in a string the
> searches
> get more complicated also, there is no free lunch. But I like the simplicity
> of
> keeping the prefix a simple string.
>
> We could avoid a prefix object if we, for example, divided the possibilities
> with a |, for example my   mg_levels_1_ prefix would be
> <mg_levels_1_|mg_levels>
> Note each "part" of an combined prefix would need to be separated by
> something
> like <> so one knows where the | applies.
>
> You write "we let an object have multiple prefixes", this is actually what
> my suggestion
> does also, but with very limited possible multiples (which I kind of like, I
> hate to think
> -you_bad_option_pc_type  and -a_totally_different_pc_type mean the same
> thing.)

Okay, I always like the idea of limiting domains for simplicity. How
about treating
the prefix as a simple string, subject to prepending and appending, but change
the meaning of match. Now the prefix is interpreted as a regular expression, and
a match means an RE match. We can find a small library to do just
this, and I think
it is much more understandable than ad hoc rules from us.

  Matt

>  Barry
>

> On Oct 20, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry I haven't responded to this fully.
>>>
>>> I hate the idea of a hack that is just for this case and a special
>>> flag you got to set or pass in.
>>>
>>> For the _1_, _2_ etc I did the following. If the string in the code has
>>> _%d_  (for example _1_) it first checks for an exact match in the list of
>>> set options. If it does not find an exact match it removes the _%d_ and
>>> tries
>>> again for an exact match. This seems to work pretty well and could be
>>> used in many places in the code, not just in the PCMG stuff.
>>
>> I am not sure I like this. It does not fit with my idea of namespaces, but
>> do like something very similar (maybe even identical, I can't tell yet).
>> What
>> if we let an object have multiple prefixes, and we have an order for
>> checking.
>> The way we could have
>>
>>  -pc_mg_1_ksp_max_its 2 -pc_mg_1_up_ksp_max_its 3
>>
>> The second would override the first for the up smoother. Is this identical
>> what you were proposing?
>>
>>  Matt
>>
>>> It would be nice to use some similar technique the case below.
>>> Possibilities
>>> 1) use _CAPS_ first exactly and then removing the _CAPS_
>>> 2) make the part with special charactors _<string>_,  first look with

their experiments lead.