Independently configuring down & up smoothers in PCMG

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 22:14:00 CDT 2008

Howdy,
      Should there be a mechanism to independently configure the down
and up smoothers
for PCMG from the command line?

>From the looks of things, it seems that on a  given level, one is only
able to set the smoothing
sweeps to be different via
    -pc_mg_smoothup 3 -pc_mg_smoothdown 2

Since both the down and up smoothers (KSP's) have the prefix set to be
"mg_levels_X",
it would seem that I cannot differentiate between the up ksp at level
X from the down ksp
at level X via any command line arguments.

It would be pain to ALWAYS have to configure both the up and down
smoothers independently.
But to enable the down and up smoothers to be configured independently
(on those odd occasions
you want to do it) , could we do something like; set a flag via
    -pc_mg_smoothers_different
which would include in the smoothers prefix, the words "up" or "down"?
Then on the command line we could do something like
    -mg_levels_1_up_ksp_type XXX
    -mg_levels_1_down_ksp_type YYY

Cheers,
    Dave