Reporting cpu times to profile KSPSolve (and others)

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 22:09:56 CDT 2008

Hey petsc folk,
    What is the best way to obtain timing information to profile the
performance
of KSPSolve (or SNESSolve)? Currently I have written some specific KSP
monitors,
but it I think it would be useful to have access to this information all the
time without
having to go through the monitor. It seems like each object should know how
to time
some of its operations.

It would be very useful to have functions such as
  KSPGetCPUTime(KSP ksp,PetscLogDouble *time)
to report the total solution time required by the KSPSolve() and
  KSPGetCPUTimeHistory(KSP ksp,PetscLogDouble *time[],PetscInt *na)
which is like KSPGetResidualHistory() but returns the accumulated cpu time
for each
iterate

It would also be useful to have a default KSP monitor which could report the
time per iterate
or accumulate time. For example something like
  40 KSP Residual norm 1.519638506430e-01 Time 1.000000000000e-03
  41 KSP Residual norm 1.510346481853e-01 Time 1.510346481853e-02

Is there a better approach to what I've been doing and are there plans to
add any
additional features to help profile individual operations on each object?

Cheers,
    Dave