ML with OpenMPI

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Mar 25 08:59:28 CDT 2008

On Tue 2008-03-25 10:21, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
> However, I still do not understand why I never had this problem. Jed,
> you built ML yourself, or were you letting PETSc to automatically
> download and build it? Or perhaps I did not noticed the problem
> because of MPICH2?

I let PETSc build it for me.  I think you did not notice the problem because
MPICH2 defines MPI_Comm to be an int which happens to be the same as used by ML
in their dummy MPI so there is no type mismatch.  From the contents of
ml_common.h, it looks like you would still run into trouble if you were using
optional features of ML.  The reason I like OpenMPI is exactly this stronger
type checking and that it seems to crash sooner when I have a bug.

Jed