configuring with --prefix

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 21 17:36:14 CDT 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 5:32 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I got this error at configuration time:
>>
>> You do not have write access to create install directory given with
>> --prefix=/usr/local/petsc/dev/linux-gnu perhaps use --with-sudo=sudo
>> also
>>
>> Then I've added, the sudo stuff and worked. However, after the
>> configuation, the dir was not created. So the question is: in which
>> scenario PETSc does need access to the install dir at configuration
>> time?
>
> PETSc does not NEED access until install time, however it is
> checking because
> people often screw this up.

    Also the eventual plan is that each external package will get
installed directly
to the prefix location (instead of being installed first in the petsc
location and
then copied over to the prefix location).

    This is a little funky to think config/configure.py is doing an
install; but it
is doing the install of the external packages you requested.

    Barry