New approach for external direct solvers in PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 25 21:04:22 CDT 2008

On Jul 25, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> Perhaps yor are missing in petscmat.h a line like the one below?? In
> the docsyou mention it, but it is not listed alongside the other
> packages.
>
> #define MAT_SOLVER_PETSC      "petsc"

    Yup, I keep forgetting to put it in. Just pushing now.

> BTW, Have you ever considered the posibility of not using the 'Mat'
> class for factored matrices?? I believe that normal matrices and
> factored matrices share very few in common as to being instances of
> the same class. Looking at the source code in src/mat, there are many
> checks like 'if (mat-->factor)' or  'if (!mat->factor)' that seems to
> support my concern. What do you think?

      This is a very valid point. The OOP fanboy would certainly make
it another class
and likely have a whole hierarchy of classes for this stuff :-). From
the point of
view of PETSc users I work VERY hard to limit the number of classes (I
already
think we have too many).  Also given our crude "C classes" it is
difficult to have nice
hierarchy of classes so for now I will leave it as is. It would be
reasonable to make
other choices.

    Barry