Request related to SLEPc

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 12 10:54:17 CST 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Jose E. Roman wrote:

> SLEPc's configure.py uses the value of $PETSC_ARCH in order to setup
> everything for installation. We never had a $SLEPC_ARCH variable because our
> configure.py does not add platform-dependent functionality.
>
> Now the problem comes when PETSc has been configured with --prefix and
> installed with make install. In that case, $PETSC_ARCH is no longer available
> and SLEPc's configure.py is in trouble.

Not sure exactly how SLEPc's configure uses PETSC_ARCH & PETSC_DIR,
the uage for prefix install is supporsed to be PETSC_DIR=prefix-val
and PETSC_ARCH=''

So a default of PETSC_ARCH='' will suffice?

> A simple workaround would be that PETSc's configure (or make install) would
> add a variable (e.g. PETSC_ARCH_NAME) in file petscvariables. We parse this
> file so the arch name would be readily available even if $PETSC_ARCH is
> undefined.

Currently  PETSC_ARCH_NAME is defined in petscconf.h - but It should be possible
to add to petscvariables also..

Satish