[PETSC #18705] PETSc and Cygwin License (POSIX layer)

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 12:51:22 CST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>  Make is NOT the problem! (It is just one of several)
>
>  Config/configure.py uses the SHELL constantly for basically everything.
> Try running config/configure.py
> under Windows without using cygwin.

I disagree with this characterization. The lowest level definitely spawns
shell jobs, however at the configure
level, they are a small set of specific tasks, and it would not be hard to
retarget them to a different architecture.
For instance, almost everything comes down to a compile, link, or execution.
I will now say "toolbox", or maybe
"toolbag" (buildstuff?).

  Matt

>  I hate the term "toolchain"
>

>   Barry
>
> On Dec 4, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>
>  I for one think it should be possible to remove 'make' from the
>> toolchain, leaving us with only win32fe, which we distribute. Thus
>> I think we could abandon cygwin once and for all. I would even be
>> willing to write a \emph{make clone} to accomplish this, even though
>> I am a committed enemy of make (which once TP'ed my house).
>>
>>   Matt

lead.