warn message in log summary

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 10:20:55 CST 2007

On 11/24/07, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> > To minor question about this message:
> > * What means 'to rapid calls'?  Is it a typo? Should be 'too rapid
> > calls' ?
> Yup
> > * Perhaps a newline could be added after the warn mesage?
> Yup

Then I'll fix the formating.

> I hate this message and problem, I wish there was a real fix.

Perhaps PETSc should use MPI_Wtime as default timer. If a better one
is available, then use it. But then MPIUNI have to also provide an
useful, default implementation.

Runing a simple test, like this (MPICH2):

int main(void)
{
  int i;
  double t0[100],t1[100];
  MPI_Init(0,0);
  for (i=0; i<100; i++) {
    t0[i] = MPI_Wtime();
    t1[i] = MPI_Wtime();
  }
  for (i=0; i< 100; i++) {
    printf("t0=%e, t1=%e, dt=%e\n",t0[i],t1[i],t1[i]-t0[i]);
  }
  MPI_Finalize();
  return 0;
}

and in the SAME box I get the PETSc warning, it consistently gives me
positive time deltas of the order of MPI_Wtick()...

--
Lisandro Dalcín