more comments about new build system

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 18:30:16 CDT 2007

No, No, Barry...

Sorry, I was not clear enough. I was thinking in having

* In an 'install' directory
prefix/bin         (generated executables)
prefix/include   (all headers)  [ Perhaps prefix/include/petsc? ]
prefix/lib           ( all petsc *.a and *.so libs)
prefix/lib/petsc  (all configuration, common and arch-specific)

So if 'prefix' is '/usr' you do not generate a non standard
'/usr/conf' directory.

* In an 'build' directory
$PETSC_DIR/bin
$PETSC_DIR/include   (common headers)
$PETSC_DIR/conf   (common config)
$PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/bin  (generated executables)
$PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/include   (arch-specific headers)
$PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/lib   (*.a and *.so libs)
$PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/lib/petsc  (arch-specific config)

I think this approach retains some degree of symmetry between 'prefix'
and $PETSC_DIR, and uses a more standard layout in 'prefix'

What do you think?

--
Lisandro Dalcín