changes to PETSc-dev bmake system and library locations

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 11 21:05:52 CDT 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> I think 'conf/variables' needs a bit more of work. I am not sure about
> what to do, the problem is here:
>
> PETSC_LIB_DIR	    = ${PETSC_DIR}/${PETSC_ARCH}/lib
> PETSC_INCLUDE	    = -I${PETSC_DIR}
> -I${PETSC_DIR}/${PETSC_ARCH}/include -I${PETSC_DIR}/include \
>                        ${PACKAGES_INCLUDES} ${TAU_DEFS}
> ${TAU_INCLUDE} ${PETSC_BLASLAPACK_FLAGS}
>

> As you can see, there are references to $PESC_ARCH.  So there are two
> potential problems using a 'install' version:
>
> 1.-  If $PETSC_ARCH is not defined, some paths are of the form
> '/usr/local/petsc//lib'. Not sure is the double '//' could be
> problematic.

  My working assumption was that Unix would always handle the // properly;
In 21 years of using Unix I've never seen this to be a problem, but then
I always learn new things.

> 2.- If $PETSC_ARCH is defined somewhere (user makefiles or even
> environment), bad paths will be generated,

  This is true, if using PETSc makefiles and an "installed" PETSc,
things will be messed up. My assumption was that people who used
"installed" PETSc would not know or care about PETSC_ARCH

>  and ${PETSC_LIB_DIR} is
> definitely broken.

   Not sure what you mean here? In my limited tests setting
setenv PETSC_LIB_DIR /usr/local/lib for example,
worked fine.

  Barry