changes to PETSc-dev bmake system and library locations

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 11 10:22:31 CDT 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Satish Balay wrote:

> However you can still have multiple configure installs by
> specifying different 'prefix' for each configure. I believe this is
> how autoconf/gnu install model is supporsed to work.

I should add that one motivation to support gnu/autoconf? 'make
insall' model as closly as possible - is to make it easy for
'packagers' [deb,rpm etc..] to package PETSc [atleast the default
config - whatever that means] and make it available for their
respective distributions. Currently we only have only debian/freebsd
packages - and nothing more.

And I'm hoping that these packagers have their own models for
installing multiple configs [via different prefix], so potentially
multiple variants of PETSc config can be packaged [if they chose to do
it].

However I think the requirement of 'PETSC_DIR' might still be a minor
hurdle for this mode. [the alternative would be providing compiler
wrappers but thats a different discussion]

Satish