petsc-dev directory structure questions

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 14 12:58:36 CST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Satish Balay wrote:

> On further thought, I'm ok with merging conf and config - provided
> 'config' [which would be the new merged name for conf]

    Why config instead of conf?

> would not have
> any of the old $PETSC_DIR/python stuff. [i,e if it goes somewere into
> $PETSC_DIR/src/foobar]

    Why should it go somewhere else; it manages all the configuration
so it should be with the configuration stuff.

    src traditional means code that gets compiled up and put in a
library or executable: the old PETSC_DIR/python stuff definitely
does not fit in that category.

> We currently have generated files anyway at
> PETSC_ARCH/conf/[configure.py,petscconf,petscrules], so I guess
> PETSC_DIR/config/[configure.py,linux-gnu.py,base,rules,..]  should be
> equivalent.

   Having PETSC_DIR/config/variables,rules but
PETSC_ARCH/conf/petscconf seems VERY wrong to me. Why is
one directory config and the other one conf?

    Barry