Why the hell did 'python' move?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 10 10:37:28 CST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> I do not remember mail about this or I would have complained. You
> talked
> about moving other things.

    It was an earlier mail

> Python code nuder the 'python' directory makes
> perfect sense to me. How the hell would I know what is in 'config'.
> Also,
> not all of the python code is configuration code.

    If there was python code that was not configuration/build code then
I apologize about messing up that code. As far as I could see at that
time
python had the config code plus some no longer used code for generating
python PETSc classes. I definitely believe all the config code should
be in
the same directory with a name that indicates it is config. Putting
code in a directory named after the language it is written in makes
no sense to me, the directory name should indicate what the code/
directory
is FOR; so real people can get around the directory tree.

    Barry