Testing PETSc configure for next release

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 18 13:09:54 CST 2004

  PETSc users,

    We are preparing our next PETSc release. In the next release we are
including a new tool config/configure.py that is intended to simplify
the installation of PETSc. It can determine the location of BLAS/LAPACK,
MPI and various other packages and also determine which options to use
for your compilers.

   We would appreciate if as many people as possible could test this new
tool before our next release. All you need to do is

1) get the file ftp://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/.petsc-dev.tar.gz

2) gunzip -c .petsc.tar.gz | tar -xof -

3) cd petsc

4) csh/tcsh: unsetenv PETSC_DIR
   sh/bash:  unset PETSC_DIR

5) ./config/configure.py

6) email petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov the file configure.log

  We will fix all the problems that come up during these runs; this
may make it quicker for your installs in the future.

  If you are using the development version of PETSc you need only do
1) bk pull ; cd python/BuildSystem; bk pull
to update your source code, instead of getting the tar file.

   Thanks

   Barry

You can run config/configure.py --help to get a list of all options

--with-mpi=0              indicates you do not have an MPI installed
--with-gnu-compilers=0              you do NOT wish to use the gnu compilers
--with-vendor-compilers=0           you do not wish to use the vendor compilers
--with-fc=0                         you do not want a Fortran compiler
--with-cxx=0                        you do not want a C++ compiler