Path oddity in PNetCDF build/configure

Wei-Keng Liao wkliao at northwestern.edu
Sun Oct 24 12:06:01 CDT 2021

Hi, Carl

Please send me the file config.log.

Wei-keng

On Oct 24, 2021, at 7:30 AM, Carl Ponder <cponder at nvidia.com<mailto:cponder at nvidia.com>> wrote:

When I build PNetCDF with MPICC=mpicc and mpicc on my $PATH, I see this during the configure phase:
ENV PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/bin
ENV MPICC mpicc
checking for sed handling option -i ... /usr/bin/sed -i''
checking mpicc under yes... no
configure: error:
     Specified MPI C compiler "mpicc" cannot be found under yes
     PnetCDF requires a working MPI C compiler. Please specify the location
     of an MPI C compiler, either in the MPICC environment variable
     (not CC variable) or through --with-mpi configure flag. Abort.
I can work around it by making the path absolute
ENV MPICC /usr/local/bin/mpicc
checking for sed handling option -i ... /usr/bin/sed -i''
checking whether /usr/local/bin/mpicc exists and is executable... yes
But, based on the first message, I'm thinking there's an incorrect path-search during the configure phase.
This is with PNetCDF 1.12.2.