Intermittent error with pnetcdf 1.6.x: One or more variable sizes violate format constraints

Schlottke-Lakemper, Michael m.schlottke-lakemper at aia.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Nov 26 23:04:37 CST 2015

Hi folks,

With the 1.6.0/1.6.1 versions of Parallel netCDF, under some conditions we get -62 errors (One or more variable sizes violate format constraints) when working with NC_64BIT_OFFSET files in parallel. It occurs mostly with parallel jobs > 16 MPI ranks (and was seen with up to 4k ranks so far) and was reproduced both on GPFS as well as Lustre file systems. Other than that, we could not find anything to narrow down the scope of the problem. Our current fix is to use the 1.5.0 version of Parallel netCDF, which has not yet produced this error, thus from a user perspective this seems like a regression in the 1.6.x series.

Any ideas what the problem could be or what we could do to narrow it down?

Yours

Michael

--
Michael Schlottke-Lakemper

Chair of Fluid Mechanics and Institute of Aerodynamics
RWTH Aachen University
Wüllnerstraße 5a
52062 Aachen
Germany