use of MPI derived types in Flexible API

Jim Edwards jedwards at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 24 14:30:43 CDT 2014

I want to write a distributed variable to a file and the way the
data is distributed is fairly random with respect to the ordering on the
file.

It seems like I can do several things from each task in order to write the
data -

   1. I can specify several blocks of code using start and count and make
   mulitple calls on each task to ncmpi_bput_vara_all
   2. I can define an MPI derived type and make a single call to
   ncmpi_bput_var_all on each task
   3. I (think I) can use ncmpi_bput_varm_all and specify an imap  (btw:
   the pnetcdf users guide has this interface wrong)

Are any of these better from a performance standpoint?

Jim Edwards

CESM Software Engineer
Boulder, CO