File header is inconsistent among processes

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 19 13:42:23 CDT 2014

On 09/19/2014 12:54 PM, Sean Byland wrote:
> Hello,
> A parallel-netcdf user gets this error:
>
>    NetCDF error: File header is inconsistent among processes
>    NetCDF error ( -250 ) from NFMPI_ENDDEF in ext_pnc_open_for_write_commit wrf_io.F90, line 1360
>   med_restart_out: opening wrfrst_d01_2013-06-01_00_10_00 for writing

The most common cause for this message is when there's a timestamp
attribute: the processes are not 100% in lock step, and so create ever
so slightly different timestamps.

Can you provide the header of a CCE run? You can use 'ncmpidump -h' or
serial netcdf's 'ncdump -h'

==rob

> when running  software/parallel-netcdf (1.5.0) libraries that were built
> with CCE but doesn’t with an application/library that were built with
> Intel’s compiler. I’m still waiting on the user for something that I
> need to reproduce the error and start experimenting but was hoping that
> someone on this mailing list might have some useful information or hints
> about what’s causing this error and how I might fix it (or where I might
> look). All of the “make check” test pass. Thanks for any input.
>
> Sean B

Argonne National Lab, IL USA