Compilation problem when using openmpi-1.3.3

Christoper Daley cdaley at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 24 00:16:08 CST 2009

Hi all,

I'm unable to compile parallel-netcdf-1.1.0 with openmpi-1.3.3 compiler
wrapper script (using gcc 4.4.2). I get the following compilation error:

mpinetcdf.c:13216: error: incompatible types when assigning to type
‘nc_type’ from type ‘MPI_Datatype’

(*request)->vartype = datatype;

This looks like a bug to me as vartype is an enum field in the
NCMPI_Req data structure.

I am able to compile parallel-netcdf-1.1.0 with mpich2-1.1.1p1
compiler wrapper script. I think this is because MPI_Datatype is
a typedef for an integer in mpich, and so can be freely
mixed with enum types. This is not the case in openmpi where
MPI_Datatype is a typedef for a pointer to struct.

Thanks for any help,
Chris