functions

michael bane michael.bane at manchester.ac.uk
Tue May 15 15:22:35 CDT 2007

A couple of questions related to doc/netcdf-api.tex provided in the
source tarball and my experiences, if I may (my first netcdf as well as
first p-netcdf prog so pls let me know if I'm making any naive mistakes
here!)

Michael

1) The syntax for def_var seems to require an extra para (num of
dimensions) for p-netCDF, but I didn't see this highlighted as a
difference (eg in 3.3):
          stat = nf90_def_var(fileID, varName, varType, (/ dim_c_ID,
dim_r_ID, dim_l_ID, dim_t_ID /), varID)

cf

           stat = nfmpi_def_var(fileID, varName, varType, 4, (/
dim_c_ID, dim_r_ID, dim_l_ID, dim_t_ID /), varID)

2) I'm a little confused as to whether functions such as nfmpi_def_var()
exist? The documentation (to my reading) implies probably not, but my
code compiles using said function name. I guess since it appears in
libf/put_varf.c it is part of the p-netCDF API? (And so should be in the
TeX file?)

However, at run time my code appears to fall over at
	           stat = nfmpi_put_var(fileID, varID, val)
and I'm unsure why...

Thanks,  Michael