example timings

Wei-keng Liao wkliao at ece.northwestern.edu
Wed Jul 18 15:53:21 CDT 2007

Michael,

This means that the Lustre file system on Horace has only 2 I/O servers
available (or officially name object storage targets, OSTs). You can check
with admin for the detailed info. The output of lfs command looks strange
to me. Here is one of my output:

  % lfs getstripe Lustre/FS_16_1M/ |grep stripe
  default stripe_count: 16 stripe_size: 1048576 stripe_offset: 30

Without the "grep", the command will show all available OSTs.

Usually, parallel I/O performance needs a parallel file system support to
see the scalability. Otherwise, in your case, multiple compute nodes in
the application will compete the communication with the only 2 servers.

Wei-keng