Operation not allowed in collective data mode

Koontz, Annette S Annette.Koontz at pnl.gov
Wed Jul 18 09:12:35 CDT 2007

Hello,

I'm a long-time netcdf user, but new to pnetcdf. I am converting a code
that runs in parallel, writing small netcdf files into one that now uses
pnetcdf and writes just one netcdf file.

I've managed to create netcdf files using pnetcdf, but when the code
gets to the point where it writes data to the file, it is failing with
the "Operation not allowed in collective data mode" error.

I'm having some trouble deciphering what this message means.

All the processors are writing data to the same file, but at different
locations (i.e. the "start" parameter is different for each processor).

Can someone enlighten me?

Annette Koontz
PNNL