Parallel netcdf and multi-dimensioned fields

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 8 10:45:30 CDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 01:38:34PM -0700, Koontz, Annette S wrote:
> I am just verifying that the fortran interface to define a
> multi-dimensional field in parallel netcdf uses the C order, not the
> Fortran order. I am having some difficulty either creating or putting
> data into a 3d field, and I want to make sure I understand the Fortran
> API.

Hi

Sorry it took us so long to get back to you.

I'm not a Fortran expert (though I think Fortran users are the biggest
users of PnetCDF).

It looks like we shuffle the data in arrays in our fortran bindings
before calling the c routines.   We also shuffle the dimension ids in
calls like "nfmpi_def_var".

So if you have a fortran-ordered array of dimensions, and the bindings shuffle
them into a c-ordered array of dimensions, then I think you specify
fortran variables the same in pnetcdf as in serial-netcdf.

Can any fortran folks confirm that?